- This event has passed.
January 17 @ 5:00 pm - January 19 @ 7:00 pm
Location: Galway - Ireland
Japanese cultural convention Akumakon brings the worlds of anime and manga to life for its annual celebration at NUI Galway.
Akumakon is one of the longest running Anime and Manga conventions in Ireland. Held over a weekend in January each year, it is a non-profit event organised by students of NUI Galway with many events helping raise money for charity. Over a thousand people attended Akumakon last year, making the convention one of the largest of its kind in the country.
Akumakon 2020 is expected to be bigger and better than ever with a great weekend of panel discussions, trade halls, special events, screenings, and special guests for all attendees. A great lineup of voice actors and professional cosplayers from around the globe will be attending this event such as Aaron Dismuke, American voice actor, writer and director known for playing lead roles in Fruits Basket, Full Metal Alchemist, Deadman Wonderland and The Devil is a Part-Timer! and voice actress Sarah Wiedenheft, who has appeared in anime such as Dragon Ball Super, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid, Black Clover, Tokyo Ghoul and My Hero Academia. Further guests are Japanese animation director Yutaku Yamamoto (Black Rock Shooter, Hakubo), popular European cosplayer Florencia, and Masako X of TeamFour Star, a voice actor who has been in many fan-dubbed anime on YouTube such as the Dragonball Z Abridged series.
One of Akumakon’s greatest events is their charity auction, where the con raises funds for organizations in both Japan and Ireland. The 2019 event raised more than €3,000 to support the NPO Animators Supporters and Teach Solais.
Highlights of Akumakon 2020
- Panels and workshops provided by various special guests and members of the anime community
- Signings, meet and greets, and photo opportunities with special guests
- Screenings of popular anime series and movies
- Japanese cafe run by the Wa Cafe serving authentic Japanese food
- A trade hall with traders from Ireland and Europe, selling merchandise from anime, manga, video games, comic books & more
- Artists’ Alley, full of artists from around Ireland with their original drawings, prints & more
- Art competitions
- Charity auction
- Video game tournaments
- Card game tournaments
- Japanese events, such as yukata fittings and origami workshops
Find out more HERE
Courtesy of Galway Tourism