Special Olympics Ireland have announced the date for the new and improved Connaught Five Peaks Challenge happening 4th & 5th May 2019.
The event gives would-be adventurers the chance to conquer some of Ireland’s most iconic peaks in a single weekend and help transform lives through sport for people with intellectual disabilities in Ireland.
The challenge which takes place in May and takes on the peaks of; Benbulben, Arroo & Tin Whistle Lake, Cuilcagh (Stairway to Heaven), Errigal Mountain and Slieve League. “It’s definitely a challenge. We had participants of all fitness levels at last year’s event and people feel a great sense of achievement after completing the challenge. This year is going to be better than ever as we have mixed things up a bit by changing our peaks. It really appeals to people and the less experienced also appreciate having the North West Adventure Tour professional guides on hand” said Helen Campbell Regional Fundraising Coordinator for Special Olympics Connaught.
Places are limited to maintain the instructor ratio and transport, accommodation and food are also all included in the registration cost.
“This event has sold out every year since we started with it in 2014 and it’s raised close to €100,000 for Special Olympics so far,” said Campbell. “We’re delighted to give people a chance to take this on in May as it’s a great time of year to get outdoors as the evenings are bright. Participants are asked to raise a minimum of €500 for Special Olympics and everyone who takes part receives a fundraising pack. The weekend concludes with a celebratory meal in the Riverside Hotel in Sligo.
For more information or to register, go to community.specialolympics.ie/mcf/5-peaks-challenge
- 6.15 -6.45 am: Registration, safety briefing and guide assignment at the Riverside Hotel, Sligo
- 7.00: Short bus journey along the Wild Atlantic Way to base of Benbulben
- 7.30: Climb Benbulben (3-4 Hours)
- 11:15 Transfer to Arroo Mountain
- 11.30: Climb Arroo (3 Hours)
- 14.45: Transfer to Cuilcagh (45 minutes)
- 15.45: Climb Cuilcagh’s Stairway to Heaven (3-4 hours)
- Snack Break
- 19.30 Transfer to accommodation in Dunlewy, Co Donegal (2 hours)
- 6.15 am: Breakfast
- 7.00: Transfer to Errigal Mountain (10 minutes)
- 7.15: Climb Errigal Mountain (3 hours 30 minutes)
- 10.45: Transfer to Slieve League (2 hours)
- 12.45: Climb Slieve League (3-4 hours)
- 17.00 Transfer home (2 hours)
- Arrive in Sligo at 7pm
- Celebratory Dinner in Riverside Hotel, Sligo. Shower and changing facilities available to all participants.
All Food, Water, Accommodation (Sat night), Guides, Transport are supplied by Special Olympics Connaught.