Strong regional business hubs
All major business sectors are represented in the Western region and the region has particular strengths in specific areas.
- Life Sciences - Medical Devices and Technologies (MDT) and the Pharmaceuticals sectors.
- ICT - the manufacture of hardware and software, as well as ICT related services
- Engineering - Engineering has had a long tradition in the Western Region, with the northwest being the traditional centre of Ireland’s tool-making sector.
- International Services - shared services centres, call centres, consulting, data processing and on-line services
- Food and Drink - this sector employed 6,000 people in the West in 2002 and is one of the top employers in Donegal and Roscommon.
- Tourism - The stunning natural landscape, culture, tradition and lifestyle combine to create a world-class holiday destination
- Creative Sector - the Creative Economy is ideally suited to the West and is growing organically.
- Public Sector – currently employs 80,000 people in the West and the decentralisation of government offices means this figure will rise.
The West is home to a large variety of businesses, from micro-enterprises to SMEs to large corporations. Companies represent all major business sectors and the region has some particular strengths in specific areas.
Detailed information on particular sectors is provided above, including information on relevant research centres, research institutes, representative associations and, of course, businesses who are already successfully up and running in the West.