Ireland’s annual nocturnal cultural extravaganza returns on Friday September 22nd. Showcasing the vibrant arts and creative scene of towns, villages, islands and cities across the country, thousands of participants are gearing up for an evening of culture, creativity and celebration as they get ready to switch on Culture Night 2017. The programme for this, the twelfth Culture Night is now available on www.culturenight.ie
Museums, galleries, cathedrals, studios, libraries, parks, government buildings, theatres and more, across the country will throw open their doors late into the night for FREE visits, tours, workshops, readings and performances. Organisers are hoping to build on last year’s phenomenal turn-out of over 400,000 nationwide. With thousands of individual events there is free family fun across the country; captivate the kids with creative art workshops, wax lyrical with spoken word sessions, relive hidden histories in historical tours, immerse yourself in music, dance like no one is watching with classes and performances of all genres, explore visual art in all its forms…..ALL FREE.
Highlights from across the West of Ireland include:
- Ennis Gospel Choir ‘Street Sing’, Merchant’s Square, Ennis.
- Ennistymon Art Trail, Ennistymon
- Guided Tour of the 13th Century Franciscan Friary, the oldest building in Ennis
- Arworks Picture Framing, Port Road (opp. An Grianán Theatre), Letterkenny
- Beidh fonn ort dhul go Fánad, Fanad Lighthouse
- The Cottage – ‘The Swell Festival’ Live, 49 Upper Main Street, Letterkenny
- Galway Community Circus, St Joseph’s Community Centre, Ashe Road, Shantalla, Galway
- Oh Boland at Róisín Dubh
- Athenry – Music, words & workshops in medieval Athenry, Athenry Library, Athenry Heritage Centre, The Market Square and the streets of Athenry
- ACHILL – Scoil Acla, Travelling Bus of Culture
- Fintan O’Toole, Cutlure Night talk on Irish identity and culture today, National Museum of Ireland,Turlough Park, Castlebar
- TACÚ Ballinrobe, A Celebration of Food, Music & Culture from around the world, Parish Centre, Corn Market
- Inside Craft Pop Up Shop, Lough Key Forest Park, Boyle, Co. Roscommon
- A Poem: An Image, Roscommon County Council, Roscommon
- Roscommon Arts Centre – Artist Talk: Naomi Draper
- BiG Street PLaY @ Sligo Town Centre
- Leabhair agus Fíon @ Hawk’s Well Theatre, Sligo
- Pulled Live Screen Printing @ The Gallery Cafe, Grattan Street, Sligo.